Preface to the 1st Canadian Edition, by Charles Molnar and Jane Gair, adapters of Concepts of Biology
In this survey text, directed at those not majoring in biology, we dispel the assumption that a little learning is a dangerous thing. We hope that by skimming the surface of a very deep subject, biology, we may inspire you to drink more deeply and make more informed choices relating to your health, the environment, politics, and the greatest subject that all of us are entwined in, life itself.
In the adapted textbook, Concepts of Biology — 1st Canadian Edition, you will find the following units:
- Unit 1: The Cellular Foundation of Life
- Unit 2: Cell Division and Genetics
- Unit 3: Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Unit 4: Animal Structure and Function
Adaptations to the original textbook Concepts of Biology by OpenStax College include:
- Remixed Concepts of Biology from 6 units into 4 units.
- Removed the original Unit 4: Evolution and the Diversity of Life from Concepts of Biology.
- Remixed the original Unit 5: Animal Structure and Function from Concepts of Biology by embedding Chapters 33-43 from Biology by OpenStax College.
- Adapted PowerPoints for each chapter- includes additional notes, images, and embedded videos.
- Added resources from “Let’s Talk Science” to the end of each PowerPoint.
Thanks to BCcampus and Camosun College for funding and support. We are most grateful to the Let’s Talk Science organization from their trove of science links.