Spices and Other Flavourings
- Describe the basic principles of taste and flavour
- Identify and describe spices and other flavourings used in the food service industry
- Describe the production and properties of spices and other flavourings
- Describe the function of spices and other flavourings in baking
Food touches all of the senses. We taste, we smell, we see colour and shape, we feel texture and temperature, and we hear sounds as we eat.
All of these elements together create a palette with an infinite number of combinations, but the underlying principles that make food taste good are unchanged.
- Variety and diversity in textures and the elements of taste make for interesting food.
- Contrast is as important as harmony; but avoid extremes and imbalance.