For this chapter there is both a video, with transcript, and written text on how to change and recover the password for your Pressbooks account.
Video and Transcript
Transcript of video
In this video, we’re going to cover the steps required to change or recover your password.
So we’ll start by covering the steps required to change your password voluntarily. So you can hover over the “Users” panel on the left, and then click on “Your Profile.” Once you’ve entered the “Your Profile” page, scroll down to “Nickname” and make sure this is different than your username. Then scroll down to “Account Management” and click on “Generate Password.” A new, strong password will be generated. If you’d like to use this password, you should copy and paste this password somewhere safe to remember it, and then click “Update Profile” to finish changing your password. If you’d like to use a different password, you can type something else into the new password box, but the password must rate “strong” before you can save it – this means it should be fairly long and make good use of letters, numbers, and special characters. Once this is done, click on “Update Profile”, and you’ll have a new password for your account.
If you’ve lost or forgotten your password, then you’ll need to take a different approach to changing your password. Navigate to pressbooks.bccampus.ca and click on the “sign in” button on the top-right hand corner.
Underneath the login box, click on the “lost your password” box. Type your username or the email associated with your account into the box, and then click the “Get New Password” box.
Now, navigate to your email, and you should see the email pop up. Click on the last link in the email, and you’ll be given a new password to use. If you’d like to use a different password, you can click into the box and type a new password inside. Once you’ve decided on the password, click on the “reset password” button to activate it, and you’ll be given a dialog that lets you know that your password has been reset.
Now when you log in, your new password should be functional.
So there you go! You now know how to change or recover your Pressbooks account password.
How to Change Your Password
Changing your password is located under the Users section of your book site. To access the change your password feature, click on “Users > Your Profile”.
Once you have entered the Your Profile page, do the following to change your password:
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the “New Password“ field.
- Click on this field; it contains the words “Generate Password”.
- A new, strong password will be generated for you. Take note of it.
- Click the “Update Profile” button.
Your password has now been changed.
Here is another way to Change Your Password.
How to Recover Your Password
If you forget your password, you can request a new one to be generated and emailed to you. This is how:
- Go to the login page for Pressbooks for B.C. faculty or the login page for Pressbooks for all others. The flow, described in steps 2 – 5, is the same for both.
- Underneath the login box, click on the “Lost your password” link.
- Enter in your username or, if you cannot remember your username, you can enter your email address.
- Click “Get New Password”.
- Check your email and follow the instructions in the email to change your password. If you do not receive an email within a few minutes, check your spam filters to make sure that the email has not been flagged as spam.