Writing in College
From Competence to Excellence
Writing in College: From Competence to Excellence is designed for students who have largely mastered the conventions of high-school level writing and are now rising to meet more the advanced expectations of college. Students will find in Writing in College a warm invitation to think of themselves as full, self-motivated members of the academic community. With concise explanations, clear multi-disciplinary examples and empathy for the challenges of student life, this short textbook both explains the purposes behind college-level writing and offers indispensable advice for organization and expression.
- Really? Writing? Again?
- What Does the Professor Want? Understanding the Assignment
- Constructing the Thesis and Argument—From the Ground Up
- Secondary Sources in Their Natural Habitats
- Listening to Sources, Talking to Sources
- Back to Basics: The Perfect Paragraph
- Intros and Outros
- Clarity and Concision
- Getting the Mechanics Right
Writing in College by Amy Guptill is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.