The world of pastry and plated desserts has changed immensely over the last few decades. Once the realm of cake slices and French pastries, now the modern pastry kitchen finds itself immersed in modern techniques, new flavour combinations, and a desire to introduce traditionally savoury elements into the dessert plate. In this book we will look at the techniques that are becoming commonplace and explore the principles behind designing and plating modern desserts.
Modern Pastry and Plated Dessert Techniques is one of a series of Culinary Arts books developed to support the training of students and apprentices in British Columbia’s food service and hospitality industry. Although created with the Professional Cook and Baker programs in mind, these have been designed as a modular series, and therefore can be used to support a wide variety of programs that offer training in food service skills.
Other books in the series include:
- Food Safety, Sanitation, and Personal Hygiene
- Working in the Food Service Industry
- Workplace Safety in the Food Service Industry
- Meat Cutting and Processing
- Human Resources in the Food Service and Hospitality Industry
- Nutrition and Labelling for the Canadian Baker
- Understanding Ingredients for the Canadian Baker
- Basic Kitchen and Food Service Management
The series has been developed collaboratively with participation from public and private post-secondary institutions.