Chapter 5: Blood Pressure
Why is Blood Pressure Measured?
- A person’s blood pressure provides insight into the functioning of the body
- Healthy body functioning is influenced by healthy blood pressure
- The findings can provide information about the integrity of arteries and heart functioning, which can lead the healthcare provider to conduct additional assessments
- High blood pressure can cause the arteries to become weak and damaged and cause the heart to become weak and enlarged
- Low blood pressure can decrease perfusion of nutrients and oxygen to the body’s cells, influencing ability to function and potentially cellular death
- Chronic high blood pressure can contribute to conditions such as vascular disease, myocardial infarction, cerebral stroke, kidney disease, and dementia