Chapter 4. Colour Management in the Graphic Technologies
- Define the relationship between the observer, the illuminant, and the object in colour appearance
- Describe the physics of light and colour
- Recognize how the eye-brain system affects colour perception
- Explain the components of the CIE colorimetric system, specifically the Lab colour space and Delta E measurements
- Differentiate between device specific and device independent colour models
- Describe the role of colour management in achieving consistent appearance between proofing cycles and final printed production
- Define an ICC profile and describe its application in digital imaging
- Use a spectrophotometer to capture colour data from industry standard targets as the first step in profile creation
- Create ICC colour profiles for standard colour transformations
- Calibrate, profile, and colour manage an LCD monitor
- Describe the application of display, input, and output colour profiles in the electronic prepress workflow
- Apply colour profiles in a variety of industry-standard applications to achieve desirable results for graphic reproduction
- Combine source and destination profiles into a single device link profile for device specific colour transformations
- Apply colour management with ICC or device link profiles in the colour control module of Prinergy’s Process Plan for proofing output
- Combine surplus spot colours into a single separation for successful printing-plate production
A knowledgeable application of a colour-managed is required for the successful and predictable generation of all colour content in print production and related graphic technologies.
This process requires familiarity with the fundamental colour science that drives the practical steps of creation and colour profile use in our industry-standard software applications. From colour science, we can progress to an examination of the tools and detailed steps required for profile creation and successful profile use.
A set of working procedures that is implemented to provide consistency and reliability to a workplace process.
A set of data that describes the characteristics of colour for a particular input or output device. Often referred to as an ICC profile.