There are many different companies that offer free email service. Gmail is a popular email service. To get a Gmail account, follow these steps:
- Open an Internet browser, like Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome.
- Type www.gmail.com in the address bar at the top.
- Click CREATE AN ACCOUNT. A form will appear. The form has many areas to type in, called fields.
- Click inside the first field. Type in your first name. Repeat this step to enter your last name.
- Enter a username, such as firstname.lastname83 (use numbers that are easy for you to remember, like your year of birth). You may be told “Someone already has that username.” Try again with a different username.
- Enter a password. It should have at least eight letters or numbers.
- Enter your password again in the next line.
- Enter your birthday month, day, and year.
- Enter your gender.
- You can leave the Mobile Phone field and Current Email Address field empty.
- Type the text you see in the picture. This proves you are not a robot.
- Click the box beside “I agree to Google’s Terms of Service.”
- Click NEXT STEP.
You now have your own email address! This book does not teach you how to send and receive email. If you want to learn this skill, ask your instructor if your school offers computer classes or check with your local library.