Building Blocks of Academic Writing by Carellin Brooks is under a CC BY-NC 4.0 Licence, except where otherwise noted.
This book is a major adaptation of Commonsense Composition by Crystle Bruno, Jen Jebens, Fabio Coelho, Jen Hagemann, and Peter Gambrill, and edited by Jan Jose State University (© 2019 CK-12 Foundation), which is under a CC BY-NC 3.0 Licence. The original book can be accessed here: Commonsense Composition – original.
CK-12 Foundation is a non-profit organization with a mission to reduce the cost of textbook materials for the K-12 market both in the U.S. and worldwide. Using an open-source, collaborative, and web-based compilation model, CK-12 pioneers and promotes the creation and distribution of high-quality, adaptive online textbooks that can be mixed, modified, and printed.
This adaptation includes the following changes, which are © 2020 by Carellin Brooks and are licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 Licence:
- Chapters 1 to 4 were combined into one chapter (Chapter 3). This chapter was then edited to address various styles of paragraphs, rather than essays.
- Kept the following chapters:
- Chapter 7 (Now Chapter 11: Tone and Style)
- Chapter 8 (Now Chapter 10: Business Documents)
- Chapter 9-13 (Now Appendix A: Grammar Review)
- Deleted the following chapters:
- Chapter 5: Writing about Literature: The Basics
- Chapter 6: Writing about Literature: Analyzing Prose
- Changed examples to reflect the Canadian context and the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada.
- Replaced American spelling with Canadian spelling.
- Changed examples and wording to be appropriate for adult learners.
- Added an editing marks legend to the Appendix.
- The following chapters are new creations:
- Chapter 1: Research
- Chapter 2: Prewriting
- Chapter 4: Summary
- Chapter 5: The Essay
- Chapter 6: Creative Writing
- Chapter 7: Revising Your Work
- Chapter 8: Responding to Other Views – The Review
- Chapter 9: Oral Presentations