Section 4: Infuse – Building an Indigenized Practice
The BCcampus Indigenization project included an environmental scan [PDF] of training offered in post-secondary institutions across the province; it revealed over 40 training events and programs ranging from Indigenous speaker series to blended courses. Almost all training offered some background on historical relationships, and there were a few that delved deeper into ways to support systemic change by using Indigenous pedagogy in teaching practice. Here are some examples:
- Towards Indigenizing Higher Education video series, facilitated by Thompson Rivers University – Teachers and students share their experiences with Indigenized course content and practice.
- Reconciliation through Indigenous Education: Massive Open Online Course, facilitated by the University of British Columbia – This six-week online course explores Indigenization, decolonization, and reconciliation practices of teachers across the province and around the world.
- Situating Yourself to Indigenize Curriculum program, facilitated by Indigenous educators and curriculum developers at Camosun College – Faculty explore the Circle of Courage model [PDF] (developed by Lakota scholar and theologian, Dr. Martin Brokenleg) as an Indigenous pedagogical technique to build learning resiliency. The transformative learning model looks at ways of building belonging for students so they can see themselves contributing and learning from one another.
To find out about the supports and learning communities at your institution, start networking with colleagues and attend events. Indigenizing your practice is professional development.
- BCcampus environmental scan: http://solr.bccampus.ca:8001/bcc/file/c0a932f4-8d79-4d3d-a5d4-3f8c128c0236/1/BCcampusIndigenizationSummary.pdf ↵
- Towards Indigenizing Higher Education video series: https://towards-indigenizing.trubox.ca/session-videos/ ↵
- Reconciliation through Indigenous Education: Massive Open Online Course: http://pdce.educ.ubc.ca/reconciliation/ ↵
- Circle of Courage model: https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/cardev/gr9_found/courage_poster.pdf ↵