How to Adapt an Open Textbook
All Creative Commons licences contain an attribution (BY) clause. This means that you must include a statement that gives credit to, or attributes, the creator of the work from which you have borrowed, whether it’s text, an image, a video, or other item. If you have made a change, indicate that in your attribution statement.
As far as how and where to place attribution statements for text or media taken from another source or sources, best practices state that you should place them at the bottom of each affected web page. Clearly mark all of these with a heading called: “Attributions”. Several attribution statements can be listed under this heading. Here are examples.
Example of an attribution statement for adapted text
- The statement is clear, simple, and contains all elements required for a complete attribution: title of the work used, author(s), and licence type. A link is provided to the original work, the home page of the website (this is optional), and the licence type.
- There is no need to name the adapting author in this statement. This information should either be included on the Book Info page as a main author OR if you want to indicate which author wrote/adapted which chapter, you can use the Chapter Author option at the bottom of each chapter/web page in Pressbooks.
- If the book is to be CC-BY licensed, then you will need to address the conditions dictated by the licence for each resource you are using in your adaptation. At the bottom of the Chapter page in Pressbooks, there is an option to set the licence type for that page which will override, for this page only, the overarching licence chosen for the book on the Book Info page.
- If the chapter contains some original material AND some material from another source, then rather than saying “This chapter is an adaptation of….”, say “This chapter contains material taken from….”.
Example of an attribution statement for an adapted image
- The statement is clear, simple and contains all elements required for a complete attribution: title of the image, photographer, and licence type, as well as a note of the changes made. A link is provided to the original work, the home page of the photographer (if available), and the licence type.