About This Resource
I. BCcampus Open Education
1. When did BCcampus Open Education begin and why?
2. What is the Awards for Excellence in Open Education?
3. What is the BCcampus Open Education Faculty Fellows Program?
4. When is the Open Textbook Summit scheduled each year?
5. How do I sign up for the BCcampus newsletter?
6. Are there other open education initiatives in Canada?
7. What does accessibility refer to?
8. What are the accessibility criteria for the B.C. collection?
9. How do I increase font size for an online book?
10. How do I make images accessible in a textbook created in Pressbooks?
11. How do I make tables accessible in a textbook created in Pressbooks?
12. How do I make multimedia accessible in a textbook created in Pressbooks?
13. How do I make math equations and formulas accessible in a textbook created in Pressbooks?
14. How do I make links accessible in a textbook created in Pressbooks?
15. Where do I find a checklist to make sure my textbook is accessible?
III. Adapt/Change an Open Textbook
16. What does adaptation mean?
17. How do I adapt an open textbook?
18. Should adapted B.C. collection books be sent to BCcampus?
19. Does BCcampus keep a list of adaptations of its books?
20. Are books in the B.C. collection always changing?
21. What is the correct way to attribute an adapted work?
22. How do I attribute an image from an open textbook?
23. What is the difference between citation and attribution?
IV. Adopt/Use an Open Textbook
24. What does adoption mean?
25. May anyone use books from the B.C. collection?
26. Must I register to use an open textbook?
27. Must I inform the author if using their open textbook?
28. How do I cite an open textbook?
29. How do I use an open textbook in my course?
30. Does an open textbook affect a course's transferability?
31. Is there a risk I will lose access to an open textbook mid term?
V. Ancillary Resources
32. What is an ancillary resource?
33. Why are open textbook test banks restricted to instructors?
VI. Collections and Open Textbooks
34. What does OER stand for?
35. What is an open textbook?
36. Is an open textbook an ebook?
37. Who funds the creation and maintenance of open textbooks?
38. May an open textbook be sold?
39. How can I submit my textbook to the B.C. collection?
40. Which textbooks are currently being evaluated for the B.C. collection?
41. How is the B.C. Open Textbook Collection maintained?
42. In the B.C. collection, what does the date beside each title indicate?
43. How does BCcampus assign ISBNs to open textbooks?
44. How should textbook errors be reported?
45. Are MARC records available for the B.C. Open Textbook Collection?
VII. Copyright, Licences, Public Domain
46. What is an open licence?
47. What is a Creative Commons licence?
48. May I make copies of an open textbook?
49. May I use an image or text from an open textbook without permission?
50. May I link to or embed restricted material in my open textbook?
51. May a fee be charged for a book with a NC (NonCommercial) licence?
52. What is the public domain?
53. What is the difference between intellectual property and copyright?
54. How do students agree to share course work under a CC licence?
VIII. Find an Open Textbook
55. How do I search for a book in the B.C. Open Textbook Collection?
56. Where can I find open textbooks in my discipline?
57. Can librarians help with open textbooks?
58. Who are the BC Open Education Librarians (BCOEL)?
X. Order Print Copies of Textbooks
59. How do I order a print copy of an open textbook?
60. How do I place an institutional order for books?
61. How do I place a complex order for books?
62. How do I order multiple copies of a book?
63. How do I order print copies of the trades books?
64. How do I order a print copy of a book if I'm sales tax exempt?
65. May I order a copy of a book in the B.C. collection from outside Canada?
66. Can I use a credit card to buy a print copy of a book?
67. Can I use a purchase order to buy a print copy of a book?
68. May I or my institution print a copy of a book?
69. Do you provide free faculty book copies?
70. How do I cancel a print book order?
71. How do I obtain a refund for a print book order?
72. What is Pressbooks?
73. Does it cost money to use Pressbooks?
74. How do I set up an account in Pressbooks?
75. How do I add other users to a book in Pressbooks?
76. How do I gain access to an unpublished book in Pressbooks?
77. How do I import an open textbook in Pressbooks?
78. Can a Google Doc file be imported into Pressbooks?
79. Will Pressbooks support books written in a variety of languages?
80. How do I link or hyperlink material in a book created in Pressbooks?
81. How do I add videos and other media to a book created in Pressbooks?
82. How do I add equations and formulas to a book created in Pressbooks?
83. Where is the word count for a book in Pressbooks?
84. What are the differences between digital and print PDF files?
85. How do I delete a book from my Pressbooks account?
86. Do any B.C. institutions host their own instance of Pressbooks?
87. Where can I find more help with Pressbooks?
XII. Reviews of Open Textbooks
88. Have books in the B.C. collection been reviewed?
89. Can I write a review for a book in the B.C. collection?
XIII. Write an Open Textbook
90. How do I create or self-publish an open textbook?
91. What platforms are available to write an open textbook?
92. How can I create a book cover?
93. How are authors of open textbooks paid?
94. Why should I give away the open textbook I've written?
XIV. Institutional Support
95. Who at my institution can answer questions about open textbooks and open education?
In this section:
Find an Open Textbook by BCcampus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.