Workplace Safety in the Food Service Industry
The regulations related to workplace occupational health and safety in British Columbia are found on the WorkSafeBC website. It is very important that you know how and where to access the information and that you refer to the website for any updates or to ensure that you are complying with all the rules and regulations governing your industry.
The following five documents are essential to understanding and meeting the minimum requirements for occupational health and safety in B.C. These documents cover the legal obligations and regulations, and offer tools to help people understand how the regulations are applied and enforced.
- Workers Compensation Act (B.C.) excerpts and summaries (WCA)
- Hazardous Products Act (Canada) summaries (HPA)
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (OHS Regulation)
- Prevention Manual (policies)
- Guidelines to help interpret and apply the OHS Regulation and Workers Compensation Act
Occupational Health and Safety Programs
Almost all businesses must be registered with WorkSafeBC and are required to have an occupational health and safety (OHS) program. Larger businesses require a formal program, while smaller businesses can have a less formal program. Regardless of the level of formality, the purpose of the program is the same in any organization.
An effective OHS program will:
- Identify hazards in the workplace
- Eliminate or minimize the potential for injuries, disease, or loss of life
- Limit financial losses resulting from injuries and disease
- Be monitored to ensure that it meets its goals and WorkSafeBC requirements
The most effective OHS programs are developed jointly by management and staff. There are different levels of responsibility in the organization of OHS. Everyone must understand both their own roles and the roles of others so they can work toward common health and safety goals.
- http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/OHSRegulation/Introduction.asp#AboutWorkersCompensationAct ↵
- http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/OHSRegulation/Introduction.asp#AboutHazardousProductsAct ↵
- http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/OHSRegulation/Introduction.asp#AboutOccupationalHealthSafetyRegulation ↵
- http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/OHSRegulation/Introduction.asp#AboutPreventionManual ↵
- http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/OHSRegulation/Introduction.asp#AboutGuidelines ↵
- http://www.worksafebc.com ↵