Detailed Description of Learning Activity
Design a project that students can do safely (and to code) that will serve a community partner. Ideas include:
- Create finisher medals for a local race on the CNC.
- Design and weld a box for storage.
- Build a welded table or piece of art for a charity auction.
- Make welding repairs of the snow groomer for the local cross country ski club.
- Build sturdy bases or racks for other departments in the institution.
Purpose of Activity
- Motivate students with a real project that serves the community.
- Provide relevancy and authentic experience.
What Makes This Open?
- Non-disposable assignment.
- Collaborative/team-based learning.
- Students share learning or resources beyond class.
- Connected to wider community.
Feedback is best given by the community member receiving the project. Self-reflection by the student can be assessed for grades.
|Explanation of activity||1 hour|
|Execute the project (which may include consultation and feedback with community partner)||depends on project|
|Presentation to the community partner||30 minutes|
|Self-reflection||30 min – 1 hour|
- A community project and resources to complete it.