BCcampus Open Education believes that education must be available to everyone. This means supporting the creation of free, open, and accessible educational resources. We are actively committed to increasing the accessibility and usability of the textbooks we produce.
Accessibility of This Textbook
This textbook is an adaptation of an existing textbook that was not published by us. Due to its size and the complexity of the content, we did not have capacity to remediate the content to bring it up to our accessibility standards at the time of publication. This is something we hope to come back to in the future.
In the mean time, we have done our best to be transparent about the existing accessibility barriers and features below:
|Headings||Content is organized under headings and subheadings that are used sequentially.||Yes|
|Images||Images that convey information include alternative text descriptions. These descriptions are provided in the alt text field, in the surrounding text, or linked to as a long description.||No|
|Images||Images and text do not rely on colour to convey information.||Yes|
|Images||Images that are purely decorative or are already described in the surrounding text contain empty alternative text descriptions. (Descriptive text is unnecessary if the image doesn’t convey contextual content information.)||Yes|
|Tables||Tables include row and/or column headers that have the correct scope assigned.||Yes|
|Tables||Tables do not have merged or split cells.||Yes|
|Tables||Tables have adequate cell padding.||Yes|
|Links||The link text describes the destination of the link.||Yes|
|Links||Links do not open new windows or tabs. If they do, a textual reference is included in the link text.||Yes|
|Links||Links to files include the file type in the link text.||Yes|
|Font||Font size is 12 point or higher for body text.||Yes|
|Font||Font size is 9 point for footnotes or endnotes.||Yes|
|Font||Font size can be zoomed to 200% in the webbook or book formats.||Yes|
Known Accessibility Issues and Areas for Improvement
- The book relies heavily on screenshots from the Autodesk software. These screenshots do not have alt text. While many of the screenshots are described in the surrounding text, the book has not been reviewed to ensure that the surrounding text is an adequate alternative for all images in the book.
Let Us Know if You are Having Problems Accessing This Book
We are always looking for ways to make our textbooks more accessible. If you have problems accessing this textbook, please contact us to let us know so we can fix the issue.
Please include the following information:
- The name of the textbook
- The location of the problem by providing a web address or page description.
- A description of the problem
- The computer, software, browser, and any assistive technology you are using that can help us diagnose and solve your issue (e.g., Windows 10, Google Chrome (Version 65.0.3325.181), NVDA screen reader)
You can contact us one of the following ways:
- Web form: BCcampus OpenEd Help
- Web form: Report an Error
This statement was last updated on November 5, 2021.
The Accessibility Checklist table was adapted from one originally created by the Rebus Community and shared under a CC BY 4.0 licence.