Unit 1. Basic knowledge and common uses of computers
Topic D: Common uses of computers in society
Computers at Home
There are many things that a computer can do at home, such as:
Manage home budget
- Personal finance software can help you create budget, track debt, track spending and savings, reduce or eliminate expenses, plan tax, plan for emergencies, determine short and long-term financial goals, or even just get a better handle on your monthly household spending.
- Some personal finance software: Personal Capital, Quicken, Buxfer, Moneydance, AceMoney Lite, Buddi, GnuCash, etc.
Work from home
- Some work from home jobs: data entry, web developer, freelance writer, travel agent, call centre representative, online teaching job, software engineer, social media manager, translator, accountant, bookkeeper, etc.
- Online banking is a banking transaction system that allows the bank customers to handle account management and conduct a range of financial transactions via the Internet, rather than visiting a branch.
- Online banking allows users to make bill payments, view account details, open a new account, money transfers, pre-authorized payments, e-transfer, apply for loans, etc.
- Computers are used in a variety of areas for entertainment purposes, such as videos, movies, television, music, photo editing, and art (for example, paintings, pictures, poetry, etc., are just a click away).
- Some intelligence games are specially developed to improve a user’s cognitive abilities and boost thinking power and mental capability.
Computers in Education and Business
Computers in education
The uses of computers in education are plentiful, such as:
- Distance education
- Online courses, programs, and degrees
- Online training resources
- Computer aided teaching and learning. This includes research, school work, storage of information, quick data processing, audio-visual aids in teaching, better presentation of information (PowerPoint, Moodle, smart-boards, etc.), entering and viewing grades online, quick communication between students and instructors, etc.
Computers in business
Computer can help a business start, run, manage, and grow. Computers can be used in business for:
- Marketing and advertising
- Storage, archiving, and order fulfillment
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Customer relationship management
- And more
Without a computer, it can be very difficult to start, run, and grow the business.
Computers in Healthcare and Science/Engineering
Computers in healthcare
Computers play a crucial role in the healthcare field, such as:
- Storing medical and patient data
- Managing appointments with doctors
- Medical imaging and equipment. This includes X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans (Magnetic Resonance Imaging—it can produce a detailed body image), etc.
- Patient monitoring
- Computer-controlled surgeries
- Diagnostic databases (create a database of a patient records with their treatment and medicine records)
- Medical research
- Blood testing (take blood samples and analyze the results with computer)
Computers in science/engineering
Computers play a critical role in science/engineering because today is a world of computers.
- Design (prototype)
- Simulate experiments
- Record, organize, and analysis data
- Business Computer © Edar on Pixabay
- Home Office © Free-Photos is licensed under a Public Domain license
- Online Banking © rawpixel is licensed under a Public Domain license
- Computers in business © PhotoMIX-Company is licensed under a Public Domain license
- Inauguration of the Municipal Hospital of Chiconcuac © Presidencia de la República Mexicana is licensed under a CC BY (Attribution) license
- Computers in Science and Technology © pxhere is licensed under a CC0 (Creative Commons Zero) license