Unit 1. Basic knowledge and common uses of computers
Click play on the following audio player to listen along as you read this section.
Computers at Home
There are many things that a computer can do at home, such as:
Manage home budget
- Personal finance software can help you create budget, track debt, track spending and savings, reduce or eliminate expenses, plan tax, plan for emergencies, determine short and long-term financial goals, or even just get a better handle on your monthly household spending.
- Some personal finance software: Personal Capital, Quicken, Buxfer, Moneydance, AceMoney Lite, Buddi, GnuCash, etc.
Work from home
- Some work from home jobs: data entry, web developer, freelance writer, travel agent, call centre representative, online teaching job, software engineer, social media manager, translator, accountant, bookkeeper, etc.
- Online banking is a banking transaction system that allows the bank customers to handle account management and conduct a range of financial transactions via the Internet, rather than visiting a branch.
- Online banking allows users to make bill payments, view account details, open a new account, money transfers, pre-authorized payments, e-transfer, apply for loans, etc.
- Computers are used in a variety of areas for entertainment purposes, such as videos, movies, television, music, photo editing, and art (for example, paintings, pictures, poetry, etc., are just a click away).
- Some intelligence games are specially developed to improve a user’s cognitive abilities and boost thinking power and mental capability.
Computers in Education and Business
Computers in education
The uses of computers in education are plentiful, such as:
- Distance education
- Online courses, programs, and degrees
- Online training resources
- Computer aided teaching and learning. This includes research, school work, storage of information, quick data processing, audio-visual aids in teaching, better presentation of information (PowerPoint, Moodle, smart-boards, etc.), entering and viewing grades online, quick communication between students and instructors, etc.
Computers in business
Computer can help a business start, run, manage, and grow. Computers can be used in business for:
- Marketing and advertising
- Storage, archiving, and order fulfillment
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Customer relationship management
- And more
Without a computer, it can be very difficult to start, run, and grow the business.
Computers in Healthcare and Science/Engineering
Computers in healthcare
Computers play a crucial role in the healthcare field, such as:
- Storing medical and patient data
- Managing appointments with doctors
- Medical imaging and equipment. This includes X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans (Magnetic Resonance Imaging—it can produce a detailed body image), etc.
- Patient monitoring
- Computer-controlled surgeries
- Diagnostic databases (create a database of a patient records with their treatment and medicine records)
- Medical research
- Blood testing (take blood samples and analyze the results with computer)
Computers in science/engineering
Computers play a critical role in science/engineering because today is a world of computers.
- Design (prototype)
- Simulate experiments
- Record, organize, and analysis data