Fats and Oils
29 Key Takeaways
- Fats and oils are manufactured and selected by the baker on the basis of certain functions or special characteristics.
- Fats and oils used in baking are made from animal and vegetable sources, with the trend toward vegetable sources.
- Fats and oils form one of the three major food groups and are concentrated energy sources.
- The major categories of fat used by the baker are:
- Regular shortenings
- Hydrogenated shortenings
- The functions of fat in baking are: