This book is intended to give students a basic understanding of the various types and uses of ingredients used in the baking industry, and how certain ingredients, in particular grains and flours, are produced, graded, and processed in Canada.
Understanding Ingredients for the Canadian Baker is one of a series of Culinary Arts books developed to support the training of students and apprentices in British Columbia’s food service and hospitality industry. Although created with the Professional Cook and Baker programs in mind, these have been designed as a modular series, and therefore can be used to support a wide variety of programs that offer training in food service skills.
Other books in the series include:
- Food Safety, Sanitation, and Personal Hygiene
- Working in the Food Service Industry
- Workplace Safety in the Food Service Industry
- Meat Cutting and Processing for Food Service
- Human Resources in the Food Service and Hospitality Industry
- Nutrition and Labelling for the Canadian Baker
- Basic Kitchen and Food Service Management
The series has been developed collaboratively with participation from public and private post-secondary institutions.