BCcampus Open Education believes that education must be available to everyone. This means supporting the creation of free, open, and accessible educational resources. We are actively committed to increasing the accessibility and usability of the textbooks we produce.
Accessibility of This Textbook
|Headings||Content is organized under headings and subheadings that are used sequentially.||Yes|
|Images||Images that convey information include alternative text descriptions. These descriptions are provided in the alt text field, in the surrounding text, or linked to as a long description.||No|
|Images||Images and text do not rely on colour to convey information.||Yes|
|Images||Images that are purely decorative or are already described in the surrounding text contain empty alternative text descriptions. (Descriptive text is unnecessary if the image doesn’t convey contextual content information.)||Yes|
|Tables||Tables include row and/or column headers that have the correct scope assigned.||N/A|
|Tables||Tables include a title or caption.||N/A|
|Tables||Tables do not have merged or split cells.||N/A|
|Tables||Tables have adequate cell padding.||N/A|
|Links||The link text describes the destination of the link.||Yes|
|Links||Links do not open new windows or tabs. If they do, a textual reference is included in the link text.||Yes|
|Links||Links to files include the file type in the link text.||Yes|
|Audio||All audio content includes a transcript that includes all speech content and relevant descriptions of non-speach audio and speaker names/headings where necessary.||N/A|
|Video||All videos include high-quality (i.e., not machine generated) captions of all speech content and relevant non-speech content.||Yes|
|Video||All videos with contextual visuals (graphs, charts, etc.) are described audibly in the video.||No|
|H5P||All H5P activities have been tested for accessibility by the H5P team and have passed their testing.||N/A|
|H5P||All H5P activities that include images, videos, and/or audio content meet the accessibility requirements for those media types.||N/A|
|Formulas||Formulas have been created using LaTeX and are rendered with MathJax.||N/A|
|Formulas||If LaTeX is not an option, formulas are images with alternative text descriptions.||N/A|
|Font||Font size is 12 point or higher for body text.||Yes|
|Font||Font size is 9 point for footnotes or endnotes.||Yes|
|Font||Font size can be zoomed to 200% in the webbook or eBook formats.||Yes|
Known Accessibility Issues and Areas for Improvement
- Videos may not have adequate audio description for people who cannot see the visuals.
- Images/animations are often described in the surrounding text, but these text descriptions may not have adequate for people who cannot see the images.
- The webbook uses animations that cannot be paused, which some may find distracting or hard to follow. To address this, the animations have been spaced out so only one should appear on the screen at a time, and there is a PDF version of the text that uses static images instead.
Let Us Know if You are Having Problems Accessing This Book
We are always looking for ways to make our textbooks more accessible. If you have problems accessing this textbook, please contact us to let us know so we can fix the issue.
Please include the following information:
- The name of the textbook
- The location of the problem by providing a web address or page description.
- A description of the problem
- The computer, software, browser, and any assistive technology you are using that can help us diagnose and solve your issue (e.g., Windows 10, Google Chrome (Version 65.0.3325.181), NVDA screen reader)
You can contact us one of the following ways:
This statement was last updated on August 13, 2021.