20 University of British Columbia – Okanagan (UBC-O)
For assistance, please contact:
- Donna Langille, Community Engagement Librarian
Phone: 250 807-9233
- Michelle Lamberson, Director, Flexible Learning
- Centre for Teaching and Learning
For help providing OER to students in the classroom, please contact:
Tenure and promotion
- See pages 16, 19, and 48: Contributions to the practice and theory of teaching and learning literature, including publications in peer-reviewed and professional journals, conference publications, book chapters, textbooks and open education repositories / resources.
- University of British Columbia: Recognizing open in promotion and tenure – July 8, 2018 (Educause Review)
Chapter table of contents
No student shall be required to purchase access to a fee-based Digital Assessment Tool, including those sold as a Bundled Resource, for any UBC Okanagan course.
- For more information, see Digital Assessment Tools.
- Read the Digital Assessment Tools Senate Policy.
- cIRcle is an open access digital repository for published and unpublished material created by the UBC community and its partners. Its aim is to showcase and preserve UBC’s unique intellectual output by making content freely available to anyone, anywhere via the web.
- Open UBC is a curated collection of resources for faculty and students to learn about the why, what and how of open education practices and what they mean to teaching and learning at UBC. It will evolve as our practices evolve on our campuses and beyond
The UBC Bookstore works with instructors to provide Open Educational Resources that are freely available for students, to be used for educational purposes.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (Okanagan)
- Open educational resources: Open Educational Resources, or OER’s, are digital learning materials that are freely available to students. By choosing OERs, instructors are lowering the costs of learning materials for students, thereby making their education more affordable.
To learn more, including how to locate OER’s and add them to course curriculums, please watch the brief video below.
- Program for Open Scholarship and Education (POSE): A new one-year flexible and blended program jointly presented by the UBC Open Working Group, the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology and UBC Library. The program will help you develop foundational knowledge of Open Scholarship, Open Education and Open Research.
Open textbooks – new
- British Columbia in a Global Context contributing author Siobhan McPhee
- CLP Calculus series by Joel Feldman, Andrew Rechnitzer, Elyse Yeager
- Differential Calculus for the Life Sciences by Leah Edelstein-Keshet
- Digital Meijis: Revisualizing Modern Japanese History at 150
- Introduction to Philosophy: Philosophy of Mind Christina Hendricks: series editor, contributing author
- Teaching in a Digital Age by A.W. (Tony) Bates (retired)
- Clinical Anatomy by Claudia Krebs
- Functional Neuroanatomy by Claudia Krebs
- Open case studies, project lead Christina Hendricks
- Virtual and Augmented Reality field trips, project lead Arthur “Gill” Green
- Virtual Soil Science
- WeBWork Online Homework Engineering problems by Jonathan Verrett and Agnes d’entremont (posted in Open Problem Library in GitHub)
- Mechnical Engineering (MECH2) – fluid mechanics, statics, dynamics, statistics, circuits, engineering materials, thermodynamics
- Chemical and Biological Engineering – Material and Engery Balances
- Electrical and Computer Engineering – Electromagnetism
- Electrical and Computer Engineering – Signals
- Biomedical Engineering – Biomechanics
Courses and programs
- Open Geography
- Quantitative Economics with Julia contributing author Jesse Perla
- Wising Up. Learn to share knowledge between Canada’s northern communities and southern classrooms, contributors Patricia Johnston, Jonathan Luedee, Mark Stoller, Ezra Anton Greene, Martina Volfova and Krista Zawadski,
- OER Accessibility Toolkit
- OER Student Toolkit contributing authors Daniel Munro, Jenna Omassi
- OSiP Pressbooks Workshop by Erin Fields, Amanda Grey, Lucas Wright
- Pulling Together: A Guide for Teachers and Instructors contributing author Lucas Wright
- Rebus Community Reports: Insights from OER Project Leads by Donna Lagille (UBC-O)
- The Science Education Initiative Handbook by co-author Wade J. Code
- Working Group Guide by co-author/editor Lucas Wright
On-campus OE Sustainability
- From the Office of the Provost and Vice President Academic: Open Educational Resources Grant Program
- For information about this working group and how to join, contact Donna Langille, Community Engagement Librarian at email@example.com
- BCcampus’ 2020 Open Education Foundation Grant for Institutions – July 23, 2020 (UBC Okanagan Library)
- Announcing BCcampus’ 2020 Open Education Grant Recipients: Laying Foundations and Sustaining Futures – June 25, 2020 (BCcampus)
- Collaboration in the Interior opens new doors – April 28, 2020 (BCcampus News)
- Developing Strategic Learning – Peter Nolan (September 24, 2019)
- Strategic Learning: Scholarly Engagement – Peter Nolan (November 5, 2019)
- Donna Langille