Appendix 2: Questions to guide media selection and use
E: Ease of use
8. How intuitively easy to use is the technology you are considering, both by students and by yourself?
9. How reliable is the technology?
10. How easy is it to maintain and up-grade the technology?
11. The company that is providing the critical hardware or software you are using: is it a stable company that is not likely to go out of business in the next year or two, or is it a new start-up? What strategies are in place to secure any digital teaching materials you create should the organisation providing the software or service cease to exist?
12. Do you have adequate technical and professional support, both in terms of the technology and with respect to the design of materials?
13. How fast developing is this subject area? How important is it to regularly change the teaching materials? Which technology will best support this?
14. To what extent can the changes be handed over to someone else to do, and/or how essential is it for me to do them myself?
15. What rewards am I likely to get for using new technology in my teaching? Will use of a new technology be the only innovation, or can I also change my way of teaching with this technology to get better results
16. What are the risks in using this technology?