Appendix 1: Building an effective learning environment
Purpose of this appendix
When you have completed this chapter you should be able to:
- design and implement a learning environment that best meets the needs of your course and students
What is covered in this appendix
Building a comprehensive and effective learning environment is an important condition for implementing teaching and learning for the digital age. This appendix discusses the key components of a learning environment and how these are affected by developments in a digital age. The chapter covers the following topics:
- A.1 Integrating design principles within a rich learning environment
- A.2 What is a learning environment?
- A.3 Learner characteristics
- A.4 Managing content
- A.5 Developing skills
- A.6 Learner support
- A.7 Resources
- A.8 Assessment of learning
- A.9 Building the foundation of good design
Also in this chapter you will find the following activities:
- Activity A.2 Influencing a learning environment
- Activity A.3 Who are your students?
- Activity A 5 Developing skills
- Activity A.6 Building learner support
- Activity A.7 What resources matter?
- Activity A.8 What assessments work in a digital age?
- Activity A.9 Designing your own learning environment
1. To be able to design effective teaching, it is necessary to build an effective learning environment.
2. Effective learning environments will have a number of different components, and these components will vary, depending on context and the epistemology that drives teaching
3. The aim of building an effective learning environment is to enable more flexible models of learning design to be created and applied.