Accounts and Users
2 Pressbooks Accounts
This chapter describes how B.C. post-secondary faculty and staff can create and manage an account on the .
How to create an account
Watch the following video or continue reading for step-by-step instruction on how to create a Pressbooks account.
Step 1: Create the account
To create an account, go to pressbooks.bccampus.ca and select “Sign Up” in the top right corner, or “Create an Account” further down the page.
Next, fill in the following fields:
- Username (This must be at least 4 characters, containing letters and numbers only, and letters must be lowercase.)
- Email address (This is unique; an email address can only be used one time in this system. The email address must be from a B.C. or Yukon post-secondary institution.)
- Type in and then confirm your password. (Password must be at least 12 characters in length, include at least one upper case letter, and have at least one number.)
- Select your institution from the drop-down list.
You can also select “Register my book now.” This is the default setting and means that a book shell will be created in addition to setting up your account. The book shell can be used to create a new book or upload an existing book. If you don’t want to create a book at this point, you can choose to register or create a book later. Finish by selecting “Next.” (See Add a New Book.)
Step 2: Activate the account
During the account-creation process, you will be notified that your account must be activated before it can be used. To do this:
- Go to the email account that you entered when creating your Pressbooks account.
- Retrieve the email generated by the system. You may need to check your junk/spam folder if you do not see an email in your inbox.
- Click on the link in the email body to activate your Pressbooks account.
If activation is not completed within two days, you must create the account again.
Once the activation link is clicked, a Pressbooks page will open up that says: “Your account is now active,” along with your username and password. From this web page, you can choose to immediately log in or go back to the Pressbooks home page (where you can also log in by clicking on “Sign In”). Alternately, you can select “Sign In” in the top-right corner of the web page to log in to your account.
Step 3: Welcome email
Within 5-10 minutes of account activation, you will receive another email containing the username and password chosen for this account, along with a link to the login page on the B.C. Faculty Pressbooks website.
This email contains a list of resources to help use Pressbooks and informs that you have “been added to the PBNotifications mailing list in order to receive email notifications when there is a scheduled maintenance outage, system upgrade, or other significant change to the Pressbooks website.”
You are asked to contact BCcampus Support with questions.
For more information, see Update Your User Profile in the Pressbooks User Guide.
Account purging schedule
BCcampus purges Pressbooks accounts that have been inactive for 12 months or longer and do not contain an active textbook. If an account contains private books, BCcampus Support will contact the account owner with the email address used during account creation to inquire about the account and books.
An instance of Pressbooks located at pressbooks.bccampus.ca. It is maintained by BCcampus and made available for free to all faculty and staff at post-secondary institutions in British Columbia and the Yukon.