BCcampus Open Education believes that education must be available to everyone. This means supporting the creation of free, open, and accessible educational resources. We are actively committed to increasing the accessibility and usability of the textbooks we produce.
Accessibility of This Resource
This resource, Physical Geology – H5P Edition, is an adaptation of an existing resource. Due to its size and the complexity of the content, we did not have capacity to remediate the content to bring it up to our accessibility standards at the time of publication. This is something we hope to come back to in the future.
In the mean time, we have done our best to be transparent about the existing accessibility barriers and features below:
|Headings||Content is organized under headings and subheadings that are used sequentially.||Yes|
|Images||Images that convey information include alternative text descriptions. These descriptions are provided in the alt text field, in the surrounding text, or linked to as a long description.||No|
|Images||Images and text do not rely on colour to convey information.||No|
|Images||Images that are purely decorative or are already described in the surrounding text contain empty alternative text descriptions. (Descriptive text is unnecessary if the image doesn’t convey contextual content information.)||Yes|
|Tables||Tables include row and/or column headers that have the correct scope assigned.||Yes|
|Tables||Tables include a title or caption.||Yes|
|Tables||Tables do not have merged or split cells.||Yes|
|Tables||Tables have adequate cell padding.||Yes|
|Links||The link text describes the destination of the link.||No|
|Links||Links do not open new windows or tabs. If they do, a textual reference is included in the link text.||No|
|Links||Links to files include the file type in the link text.||Yes|
|Audio||All audio content includes a transcript that includes all speech content and relevant descriptions of non-speach audio and speaker names/headings where necessary.||NA|
|Video||All videos include high-quality (i.e., not machine generated) captions of all speech content and relevant non-speech content.||No|
|Video||All videos with contextual visuals (graphs, charts, etc.) are described audibly in the video.||No|
|H5P||All H5P activities have been tested for accessibility by the H5P team and have passed their testing.||No|
|H5P||All H5P activities that include images, videos, and/or audio content meet the accessibility requirements for those media types.||No|
|Formulas||Formulas have been created using LaTeX and are rendered with MathJax.||NA|
|Formulas||If LaTeX is not an option, formulas are images with alternative text descriptions.||NA|
|Font||Font size is 12 point or higher for body text.||Yes|
|Font||Font size is 9 point for footnotes or endnotes.||Yes|
|Font||Font size can be zoomed to 200% in the webbook or eBook formats.||Yes|
Known Accessibility Issues and Areas for Improvement
- Many images do not have sufficient text descriptions provided.
- Some images, particularly graphs, rely on colour to convey information.
- The link text does not always describe the destination of the link. Some links simply say things such as “image source”.
- Some links open in new windows without referencing this in the link text itself.
- Some videos have machine-generated captions.
- Some contextual visuals in videos are not sufficiently described audibly.
- H5P activities that include images and videos audio content do not have sufficient text descriptions, captions, or transcripts.
- There are no offline versions of videos or H5P activities.
Let Us Know if You are Having Problems Accessing This Book
We are always looking for ways to make our resources more accessible. If you have problems accessing this resource, please contact us to let us know so we can fix the issue.
Please include the following information:
- The name of the resource
- The location of the problem by providing a web address or page description.
- A description of the problem
- The computer, software, browser, and any assistive technology you are using that can help us diagnose and solve your issue (e.g., Windows 10, Google Chrome (Version 65.0.3325.181), NVDA screen reader)
You can contact us one of the following ways:
- Web form: BCcampus Open Ed Help
- Web form: Report an Error
This statement was last updated on January 30th, 2023
The Accessibility Checklist table was adapted from one originally created by the Rebus Community and shared under a CC BY 4.0 License.