MERLOT Chemistry (Various CC licences)
The MERLOT Chemistry Portal helps people explore all the many resources available for teaching and learning chemistry.
Open Chemistry (CC BY-SA)
Open Chemistry (OpenChem) provides a full curriculum of recorded lectures covering undergraduate chemistry plus selected graduate topics. Through lecture videos and ancillary materials, anyone in the world can effectively sit alongside UCI Irvine students and view complete undergraduate core and elective course lectures delivered by top faculty members.
WikiEducator CHEMISTRY (CC BY-SA)
A collection of chemistry resources curated by a British Columbia high school teacher.
Biochemistry (CC BY-NC-SA)
Biochemistry is an introductory course, designed for both biology and chemical engineering majors. A consistent theme in this course is the development of a quantitative understanding of the interactions of biological molecules from a structural, thermodynamic, and molecular dynamic point of view. A molecular simulation environment provides the opportunity for you to explore the effect of molecular interactions on the biochemical properties of systems.
Chemistry – Review of Stoichiometry (CC BY-NC-SA)
This is a complete course in chemical stoichiometry, which is a set of tools chemists use to count molecules and determine the amounts of substances consumed and produced by reactions. The course is set in a scenario that shows how stoichiometry calculations are used in real-world situations. The list of topics (see below) is similar to that of a high school chemistry course, although with a greater focus on reactions occurring in solution and on the use of the ideas to design and carry out experiments.
OpenOChem Cloud (Various CC licences)
A homework/quizzing system that plugs in to your existing LMS. Unlike other “do all” homework systems, OpenOChem was designed from the ground up for creating, sharing, and administering Organic Chemistry assessments.
A student Workbook and PPT Slides for Chemistry and the Environment: A Chemistry Perspective for discussion of Environmental Issues (CC BY)
OrgChem 101 Learning Lab (CC BY-NC-SA)
A set of organic chemistry learning modules that provide structured guidance to explore organic chemistry concepts. The modules provide metacognitive support, interactive instructional videos, animations, and interactive activities that promote the mastery of concepts, provide feedback, and link to real-world contexts with three learning modules:
- Nomenclature for organic chemistry
- Organic reaction mechanisms
- Organic acid-base reactions
Downloadable images (CC BY-SA)
- Hypertonic Isotonic Hypotonic: Movement of water, due to osmosis of a cell in three different solutions, tonicity. In a hypertonic solution, water moves out of the cell. In an isotonic solution, there is no net movement of water. In a hypotonic solution, water moves into the cell.
- Periodic Table of the Elements
- pH Scale: pH Scale showing neutral, acidic and basic
- Subatomic particles
- Lost an electron joke: A joke about an atom losing an electron. When an atom loses an electron, it ends up with a positive charge, which is why the joke ends with “Yeah, I’m positive…”
- Subatomic attitudes: Shows the relative charge of each of the subatomic particles, but as related to what the same language would mean with respect to personalities.
- Synthesis and Degradation: Synthesis is the bonding of monomers to create polymers. Degradation is the breaking of bonds within a polymer to create monomers.
B.C. Open Textbook Collection: Chemistry (Various CC licences)
A collection of open textbooks relating to various topics in chemistry.
This textbook designed to accompany a one-semester course in chemistry-based discussions of important environmental issues such as air pollution, the ozone layer, climate change and water quality. Chemical principles are introduced, followed by environmental ‘focus’ sections to base discussions on the scientific principles and societal intricacies of the individual topics. A student Workbook and PPT Slides are also available.
“Concept Development Studies in Chemistry” is an online textbook for an Introductory General Chemistry course. Each module develops a central concept in Chemistry from experimental observations and inductive reasoning. This approach complements an interactive or active learning teaching approach.
A collection of open textbooks, assignments, and other educational resources on chemistry subjects.
Chemistry Videos (CC BY)
The following three training videos were produced by the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) with an OER Grant from BCcampus Open Education.
- pH meter and electro-conductivity (EC) meter training
- Ion Chromatography Training
- Microwave Digester Training
- Canada Map Icon © Icons8 is licensed under a CC BY-ND (Attribution NoDerivatives) license
- BCOutlineFlag © Adamwashere is licensed under a CC BY-NC-SA (Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike) license